IN recent decades the concept of health promotion as a proactive activity has become a legitimate part of health care.
Health promotion is an important focus in the present health care environment. As the population ages, the potential strain on health care systems will increase because the greatest use of health care services occurs during the last years of life
Health promotion activities, including changes in dietary habits, can contribute to an increase in life expectancy and better health and can be incorporated into routine care for all older adults. Health promotion is an important focus in the present health care environment
Some of the seminars organised by Sri Om Care are
Stepping On is an exciting, friendly and free community program run in collaboration with NSW Health.
In the seminars, you get to know how to reduce your risk of falling and maximise your independence and ability to do everyday activities.
Some of the personal benefits from Stepping on are
- Step outside your home with confidence
- Improve your strength and balance
- Learn with your peers
- Become more aware of fall hazards
- Move safely at home and in the community
- Manage medications wisely
Chronic disease Management
It is a six-week program, in community settings such as senior centres, and hospitals. People with different chronic health problems attend the program together. Workshops are facilitated from a highly-detailed manual by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are peers with a chronic health conditions themselves. Subjects covered include:
1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation,
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining & improving strength, flexibility, and endurance,
3) appropriate use of medications,
4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals,
5) nutrition, and making informed treatment decisions.